Friday, December 21, 2012

Can't Escape the Maroon

As Texas is such a hugely populated state, I expect to meet a lot of Texas A&M alumni.  I expect another large percentage to consist of University of Texas alumni.  Throw in some Texas Tech Red Raiders, and you pretty much have the population of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.  Still, I'm surprised to meet as many Aggies as I do all the way up here in north Texas.  I incorrectly assumed this was Longhorn country (I don't even consider the SMU people).

When you meet an Aggie, you're not gracefully introduced.  You collide with the person, head first.  You're inundated by spirit, pride, and borderline obnoxiousness.  Trust me.  I lived with one for more than a year.  He-Who-Should-Not-Be-Named served our meals on maroon plates, wouldn't allow me to call UT by that acronym (I was expected to say "TU"), drove a maroon SUV, and took vacations to College Station.  He fulfilled his dream of graduating from A&M, and he deserves respect for that.  However, his maroon rantings drove me to insanity.

Now, I work in an office filled with Aggies.  The company owner is an Aggie, but he's a great guy.  He's 79 years old and still comes to the office every day.  His daughter and her husband, both Aggies, oversee operations and strive to win contracts from the university for work.  The president of the company recently named his new puppy "Heisman."  Is he a die hard fan?  You make the call.

Why am I so dour about A&M?  It is a great university.  I suppose I associate it with the one who broke my heart multiple times and jaded me beyond belief.  Does jaded blood turn from red to maroon?  Possibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment