Sunday, February 24, 2013

Cleveland Rocks

No, it really doesn't rock.  I can't believe I considered moving there when I was a stupid, newly married 23-year-old.  The things we do--or almost do--for love!

I mention Cleveland because I've watched "Hot in Cleveland" all weekend while in bed with the flu (throwing up in the middle of yoga class: not the highlight of my weekend, but hey, I'm  not too proud to be self-deprecating).  I watched it partly in honor of my mom because she loved this show and recommended it.  I've also zipped through the first season because it really is funny and has a great cast:  Valerie Bertinelli, who is one of the cutest people ever; Jane Leeves, one of my favorites from "Frasier"; Wendie Malick, who's always witty; and the timeless Betty White.

The show's references to LA, from which three of the characters hail, perpetuate my musings on California.  I've been thinking about moving to a new city a lot lately, and San Francisco is one of my top choices.  I realize it's ridiculously expensive, I have no acquaintances there, it's 1,500 miles from my closest relatives, and it's prone to earthquakes, but so what? Life is too short to wonder what could have been. 

What I hope does not happen is that I end up a slightly bitter, lovelorn cougar who's compelled to start a new life in a midwestern town that is the punchline of so many jokes, and not just the jokes in "Hot in Cleveland."  Ha!  I'm so mean.  Maybe San Francisco will open me up to experiences that aren't portrayed in a 22-minute sitcom.  For now, it's still enjoyable to watch it and have some cheap laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment