Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Trivia

In ancient Rome, a trivium was an intersection of three roads (tri, "three" + vium, road).
When people met at a trivium, what did they tend to do? According to the Romans, they would shoot the breeze and discuss trivialis ("inconsequential things") – which eventually helped give trivia its modern meaning.
(From Merriam-Webster Online)

I wanted to title this entry "All-Time Triples Leader," but I do not know who holds that title. I would love to be partial to one of my favorite baseball players, Nomar Garciaparra, and call him the leader, but I'd have to consult my older brother's vast sports knowledge for verification.

Instead, I called this entry "Trivia" because it is full of useless tidbits (as many self-indulgent blogs are) about this past year of my life. I found Merriam-Webster's passage on the word's etymology interesting because I am approaching my third decade. The number 3 dominated my behavioral patterns this year. I hope next year, my thirtieth on this planet, will bring more surprises and challenges but also some peace of mind. A wrap-up of 2010's highlights (or low lights):

--I sported three different hair colors.
--I changed jobs three times.
--I was dumped three times by the same person.
--I finished my third course toward my teacher certification (and earned my third A in the process).
--I eagerly anticipated a third win for the Bills, who finally managed to score one.
--I had three different telephone numbers.
--I was arrested for an unpaid traffic ticket about three yards from my front door (ALMOST escaped the heat!).
--I saw three great live acts: Keane, Ingrid Michaelson, and The Black Keys.
--I was lucky enough to have the love, comfort, and support of many more than three great friends as I wallowed, cried, and struggled to find myself.

Here's to 2011 and my next decade. Happy new year! Thanks to my family and friends for everything you've done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment